Saturday, January 13, 2007

Announcements

First off, a quick announcement about another weblog, "More a Question than a Reply," which I am in the process of setting up. I am collecting there all my journalistic essays on various cultural and social matters I encounter on my travels. As I find the time and energy I will use it to explore the combination of imagery and text in order to play with different narrative structures. A little bit of Joseph Mitchell, a dash of Ryscard Kapuscinski, and a healthy dose of documentary photography. At present there are a few essays in Spanish as well which discuss the history of the colonial city of Santo Domingo, the sugar plantations, and a bawdy tale of bestiality. One of my favorite pieces, "Death of a Patriarch," about burying our great grandfather, has been dusted up and posted anew. One or two of the Spanish language essays have yet to be translated. I will eventually be posting essays on the public transport system in St. Domingo (sounds dull, but it is one of my best), the sex trade, some recent assignment work, and pieces about India, Brazil and other countries.



Second thing to note, John Loomis's Blueeyes Magazine has just published its newest issue, number 14, featuring Matt Black's poetic documentation of life in Mixteca.

2 comments:

Velibor Bozovic said...

While I enjoy most of your work, I find Death of a Patriarch to be the most powerful... Seems like I tend to be affected by stories that a very personal, somehow they get the best out of authors (while being the most difficult ones to create)...

el viralata said...

Thanks Velibor, I cannot tell you how much that means to me. And I agree. something happened there, mixing up the personal the philosophical or speculative register I usually inhabit, and there was a bit of magic. I need to explore along these lines further.